The Egyptians believed that the soul had 7 parts. Modern psychologists are beginning to catch up to that idea. If you see a counselor now, most likely they will talk to you about self-states or feelings states. Instead of seeing people as being one entity, psychologists now know that people seem to carry within them quite a few different aspects of personality that come to the fore at different times of their lives. This system is based on both the ancient Egyptian, and the modern psychological, understanding of the parts of the soul.
- The Body
Your body has a profound effect on your life. You have a body type, a body shape and size, and many chemical, hormonal, and nervous interactions that significantly influence how your life is lived. It is important to know and accept how your body works. Think of your body as your self’s Operating System. You can’t change that without buying a new computer, pretty much. In the same way, your body is an essential part of who you are. To fight against this will exhaust you, and really not change a thing. Learn how to flow WITH how you operate for a smoother life, more energy, and more self-acceptance.
- The Ren was the name given to a person at birth. Egyptians believed it was part of a person’s soul and that it would live for as long as that name was spoken or the person remembered. The Ren also was the secret name, the identity of the person.
Both meanings for this part of your soul are valid.
The name you were given at birth has an impact on your life and personality.
You have also absorbed other names throughout your life. Many children are subject to name-calling, but in addition to that, we take on the burden of names that are never spoken. Black sheep of the family, the stupid one, the one who takes care of everyone, the champion, the sports star, and so on. These names are not chosen. Those names can control how we see ourselves and how we experience life.
You also have another secret name. This name tells who you really are, without all those other labels. It gives insight into why you are here in this lifetime. This name is only for you.
- The Sheut was the person’s shadow or silhouette. Egyptians believed that the shadow, somehow, contained part of the essence of the person.
What you can’t see about yourself
The shadow, as described by insightful psychological pioneer, Carl Jung, is all about the parts of you that you refuse to look at. The shadow can be positive or negative. Many people believe that the only things that they don’t want to see about themselves are the bad things; yet most people also are blind to their own wonderful qualities and greatness.
The Shadow you Cast on the world
Everyone is influencing others around them all the time. We have energetic effects, interactive effects, and ripple effects from our actions. Part of your shadow lies in the effect you are having on others.
- The Ib was a metaphysical heart and to ancient Egyptians it was the focus of emotion, thought, will and intention. They understood it as the seat for the soul. The Ib is the heart, the record of good and bad deeds. It is weighed against the feather of truth. If the spirit passes the test, it was blessed with Aruu, the Egyptian paradise. If it failed, the heart was eaten by Ammit the Devourer.
This is the seat of your emotion. It is how you respond emotionally to the world, and what creates your value system.
Do you know what your values really are, or have you just adopted values from your family or culture?
Do you know your emotional type? Are you emotionally intelligent? Are you in touch with your emotions? No being able to access a full range of emotions, or to recognize your own emotional states can make you ill, can ruin relationships, and create stress in your life.
- The Ba was the notion of personality. Everything that makes a person unique.
The Ba is how you think and process information. It is how your personal past interacts with your genetics and nervous system. It is determined by such factors as:
Do you have a processing disorder?
Do you have a mental illness?
Are you an introvert or extrovert?
Are you highly sensitive? Do you tend to ignore what is happening in the world around you? How do you process stimuli?
What experiences have you had that have profoundly changed your life?
It is important to know and accept how you work. Think of your personality type as your self’s hardware. You can’t change that without ripping a computer apart and starting from scratch. In the same way, this is an essential part of who you are. To fight against this will exhaust you, and really not change a thing. Learn how to flow WITH how you operate for a smoother life, more energy, and more self-acceptance.
- The Ka was the vital fire or spark, that distinguishes living from dead. The Ka was the life force that leaves the body when it dies.
This is the aspect of the self that most people in the Western world would think of as the spirit. It is the part of you that rises above the various aspects of personality and creates the life you have to serve a specific agenda. You can communicate with this part of yourself for guidance and insight.
- The Shm Many scholars define sḫm as the living force or life-force of the soul which exists in the afterlife after all judgement has been passed. However, sḫm is also defined in a Book of the Dead as the “power” and as a place within which Horus and Osiris dwell in the underworld.
This part is the Highest aspect of yourself beyond 3d separation. This part understands all of who you are, and all of what life is about. It knows the reason for every incarnation of your being, and the overall reason you are here every time.
If you would like to learn how to understand and access all of these parts of yourself, check out information on our Services We Offer page: Services We Offer or email us at email@example.com